15 Years of Innovations and Excellence
Applied Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering (AEIE) Department of Heritage Institute of Technology celebrated its 15th year of B. Tech. programme and 10th year of M. Tech. programme recently. In this occasion, the department in technical association with ISA student chapter of HITK organized a seminar on Advancements in Instrumentation Technology and a Prototype Design Competition for Mankind in the college campus to bring together all the AEIE students and professionals to share their ideas and views related to advancements of Instrumentation Technology for mankind.
The seminar was inaugurated and graced with the honored presence of Prof. Ajoy Kumar Ray (Director, Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur). Students from across different colleges participated in the seminar and were highly benefitted and enriched their knowledge from the invited talk of Prof. Biswajit Ghosh (Professor of Energy Science & Technology, Jadavpur university and Leverhulme Visiting Professor, Newcastle University) on the topic “Instrumentation for the Energy Technologies”. The audience also got the true flavor of industrial instrumentation from the invited talk delivered by Mr. Asoke Kumar Paul (General Manager, R&D, IISCO Steel Plant, SAIL) on “Advances in Instrumentation in Core Industries”.
Stressing the importance of organizing such seminars and the idea behind organizing the seminar Dr Madhurima Chattopadhyay, Head of the Department, Applied Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering (AEIE) Department of Heritage Institute of Technology said “Electronics along with Instrumentation engineering has wide applications from household to process industry, from aerospace to biomedical. Thus, it is a drive for young students to know and explore the field during their studies through this type of prototype competition“.
Here it is important to note that Dr Madhurima Chattopadhyay has mentored and encouraged many of her students to take up many innovative projects and has been motivating force behind many innovations by young scientists.
Meanwhile addressing in the seminar Prof. Ajoy Kr. Ray of IIEST Shibpur stressed on the importance of remote sensing and control in the field of instrumentation at present.
The second half of the event started with Prototype Design Competition. Students from Engineering colleges such as Future Institute of Technology, Techno India Group, Asansol Engineering College, Haldia Institute of Technology, Jadavpur University and many others participated in the competition.
After a rigorous screening, the technical committee and experts of the subjects selected twenty (20) projects for the competition. The judge’s panel comprising of Prof. B. Ghosh, Prof. R. Bhar, Mr. A.K. Paul, Mr. A. D. Tarafdar and Dr. M. Mukherjee evaluated the projects and announced the result keeping in mind different scientific and human aspects such as innovations and their application for the benefit of human kind and universe.
At the end of the day long seminar Head of the Department, AEIE Dr Madhurima Chattopadhyay and distinguished guests presented the trophies and cash prizes to the winning students followed by huge cheers.
The projects which are displayed were having hardware as well as software counterparts in working conditions.
- Voice Control and Android Application Controlled robot using Bluetooth and arduino platform (Techno-India, Salt Lake) – the system is operating through a mobile app for disabled elderly stay-alone persons through which one can communicate the wheels of a table through voice.
- Eyeball controlled wheel chaired system for people suffering from Quadriplegia (Heritage Institute of Technology)- it was a low cost-working model specially designed for patients suffering from Quadriplegia.
- Automatic crop irrigation system for multi-cropping techniques (Future Int. of Egg. & management) – the main challenge of such system lies with the moisture-measuring sensor, in this particular work, the said sensor developed by the students only which is cost effective.
- Development of low cost spin coater for thin film deposition (Jadavpur University) – the system worked perfectly for micro- scale coating purpose and was appreciated by everyone.
- Advanced roof displacement Analyser (Asansol Egg. College)- it was a very practical innovative instrumentation system for prediction of misalignment of pillars in bridges/ roofs in case of earthquakes.
- Automatic flight controlled unmanned Aerial vehicle (Haldia Institute of Technology)- The whole control mechanism is automated by a highly advanced autopilot system designed by students.
- Detection flammable gas using MQ2 sensor (Heritage Institute of Technology) – It was designed for safely purpose both in domestic and industry.
- Smart-home automation system (Future Int. of Egg. & Management)- The prototype model showed a fully automated 3BHK house with optimized power consumption.
- System for detection of Dozing drivers (Heritage Institute of Technology)- This system was simple to implement and easy to adopt for any dozing driver.