Fashion industry : Many different fashion careers
Fashion industry means all the individuals & business that design, produce, & market the things that we wear including, shoes, accessories etc. Before any one of these items can reach a store, it has to go through a lengthy creation process, that involves many different fashion careers.
There are number of different careers in fashion with the appropriate education & experience, a person can be a photographer, a designer, a stylist or another similar type of fashion professional.Despite of the job, these are some other qualities, that every fashion professional should love to carry out the design, marketing and production that are necessary in the industry.
People attracted towards fashion career because of the desire to be creative or desire to stay up to date with the largest trends. Another thing that draws the attention towards this field is the fact that skills can be wed, not only to make a garment but also to create the accessories.
What kind of work can be done by having a degree or diploma in fashion designing.The fashion and textile industry has always recruited graduates foe designer and production manager roles.The type of career graduates are recruited are recruited can be divided into the following categories
i) Design and product development : Wing creative and technical skills to initiate new designer, textile designer
ii) Business and management : Managing the processes between product initiation and supply of goods to the customers production manager, retail buyers, merchandiser
iii) Technology : Using special technical knowledge to support the design and production process clothing or textile technologies.
iv) Associated Careers : There are many associated fashion and textile careers, there focus is on fashion and textile but they originate from other industries such as- Journalism, media, photography, teaching.
What are the skills needed –
Employers within the fashion and design industry seek the skills and qualities including communication, time management, organizational and entrepreneurial skills, flexibility and commercial awareness, as well as a genuine interest and commitment in the sector. They also require technical knowledge of garment technology, information technology, production and supply chain management, Textile technology. Foreign language will be very helpful.
Self employment – fashion and textile designers may begin by working on a freelance basis through an agent and with experience and established contacts which will help to open there own business . work can be marketed through trade fairs or directly to buyers from large businesses.
Opportunities abroad – To work abroad in fashion and design it is useful having knowledge of foreign language. While a lot of the business will possible be carried out in English . It is helpful to speak with suppliers, traders in the country’s official language. Having additional skills in areas such as photography, graphics, writing, or delivering presentations can also help in staying with strong competition.
Designers can sell there work abroad or the overseas companies. This may create opportunities to travel to other countries to move deals.
1) Fashion designer – A fashion designer creates clothing, including dresses , suits, pants and skirts etc. Another area of specialization is costume design for television or movie.
2) Textile designer – Textile designer creates two dimensional designs that can be used, as a repeat design in the production of all type of fabrics . The two major fields are:
i) Interiors (upholstery, furnishing etc.
ii) Fabrics for clothing
3) Garments production manager – They are responsible for the goods and services that should be produced efficiently, at the correct amt, at the right cost and the quality.
4) Retail buyers – A retail buyers select a range of products to sell in retail outlets.
5) Merchandisers – The main role of garment merchandiser is to correct garment export order. Then produce the garments and export.
6) Clothing technologist – A clothing / textile technologist works on the design, development and production of fibers and textiles. Technically and investigative for quality control .
By: Jayshree, Fashion Designer
- - Advertisement - -